Obligations of the Lessee:
1. The lessee agrees to the provisions of this lease and has received a copy of it.
2. The lessee will return the automobile:
a. And all accessories (including tires and tools) in the condition they were when received, with the exception of normal wear due to use.
b. On the date specified in this lease, unless otherwise agreed upon later.
c. To the lessor’s premises, unless otherwise specified.
3. If the lessee does not return the automobile at the time agreed upon in this lease, or does not declare his intention to extend the lease, the lessor or the police is authorized to repossess the vehicle without further notice and at the lessee’s expence. Extending the lease is dependent upon the consent of the lessor. If the lessee returns the vehicle 1 hour or later after the lease has expired, the lessor is authorized to demand up to 24-hours rental under the terms of this lease.
4. The vehicle shall be handled and driven carefully. Only those named as drivers on the first page of this agreement are authorized to drive the automobile. The lessee is liable for damages resulting from the use of the automobile for which no compensation will be paid by the vehicle’s insurance company. This includes damage to the automobile and/or injury to passengers due to the following:
a. Off-road driving.
b. Driving across rivers or any kind of water course.
c. Intentional acts or gross negligence. d. Use of intoxicants by the driver.
e. Vehicle use that contravenes Icelandic law and/or the provisions of this lease.
5. In the event of a collision or accident, the lessee shall immediately notify the appropriate police authorities as well as the lessor of the incident, and the lessee may not leave the scene before the police has arrived.
6. The number of kilometers (km) that the vehicle will be driven while this lease is in force is determined by reading a normal odometer supplied with the vehicle by the manufacturer. The lessee shall notify the lessor as soon as possible if the odometer is out of order or stops functioning during the term of the lease.
7. The lessor is not responsible for the disappearance of or damages to property that the lessee or any other party leaves in or transports with the vehicle.
8. The lessee agrees to pay the lessor, upon request:
a. A deposit amounting to the estimated cost of hiring the car.
b. Any and all expenses incurred by the lessor if he has to bring the vehicle back to his premises, in the event that it has been left somewhere without supervision, regardless of the condition of the vehicle, the roads or the weather.
9. The lessee is not authorized to have repairs done or make changes to the vehicle or its accessories, or to put the vehicle up as any kind of security, without the prior consent of the lessor.
10. The lessee is liable for all parking meter charges and fines for breaking traffic laws.
11. The lessee is not authorized to use the vehicle for transporting passengers for payment, loan it to others, or sublease it.
12. If drivers are under the influence of alcohol, stimulants or sedatives or in any other way incapable of driving the vehicle in a safe manner, this rental agreement is no longer valid. In this case the car will be towed at the renter's expense.
13.The renter agrees the car rental has permission to get full personal details of the driver from local police and other Icelandic authorities.
Obligations of the Lessor
14. The lessor will supply the vehicle at the agreed time and make sure it meets all the demands.
15. If the vehicle malfunctions, the lessor shall supply the lessee with a comparable vehicle as soon as possible. If the damages are minor, the lessor is authorized to have repairs done on the vehicle.
16. The lessor shall inform the lessee of the content of this agreement, particularly as to the regards of the obligations that the lessee undertakes by signing it.
17. The lessor shall inform a foreign lessee about Icelandic traffic regulations, traffic signs, and regulations banning off-road driving. The lessor shall particularly point out the danger stemming from animals on the roads.
18. If the lessor wants to limit the use of the vehicle in regard to its equipment and/or road conditions, this shall be done in writing before this lease is signed.
19. The lessor will maintain valid liabilty insurance for his business operations.
20. Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is included in the rental price at Reykjavik rent a car, Iceland car rental and Átak car rental. CDW is not included in the rental price at SADcars car rental.
21. The lease sum/rental fee includes mandatory vehicle insurance, that includes liability insurance and accident insurance for the driver and the owner. Third-party liability insurance consists of the amount stipulated by Icelandic law at any given time.
22. The lessee may purchase individual accident insurance; Collision damage waiver (CDW), Super collision damage waiver (SCDW), Gravel protection (GP), Sand and ash protection (SAAP), Tire insurance (TI) and Theft protection (TP). The lessee may purchase insurance packages, thereby lowering their own cost and self-risk. Each policy will specify the amount deductible in each instance of loss.
23. This accident insurance does not cover:
a) Damages caused to the underside and the top of the vehicle. This also applies if the vehicle rolls over.
b) Damages caused when driving off road or through waters and rivers.
c) Damages caused to the tires or the wheels of the car (It is possible to buy tire insurance).
d) Damages caused by the wind blowing up the door.
e) Intentional damages or damages due to gross negligence on the part of the driver.
f) Damages resulting from the driver being under the influence of alcohol, stimulants or sedatives, or in any other way incapable of driving the vehicle in a safe manner.
g) Damages due to race or test driving.
h) Damages done by animals.
i) Holes burned into seats, carpets, or mats.
j) Damages affecting only wheels, tires, suspension, batteries, glass (other than windows), radios, or loss by theft of parts of the vehicle and damages resulting from this.
k) Damages caused by driving on rough roads to the vehicle’s transmission, drive, other parts that are in or attached to the chassis; damages to the chassis resulting from the vehicle scraping bottom on rough roads as a result of ridges being left by road graders; stones lodged in the road surface or on the shoulder of the road. The same applies to damages occurring when stones are thrown up, striking the underside of the vehicle during driving.
l) Damages resulting from driving in places where vehicle traffic is prohibited, such as paths, tracks, banks of snow, ice, unbridged rivers or streams, beaches, places only accessible at low tide, or other trackless areas. However, compensation will be paid for damages if the driver is forced to leave the road, for example, due to road repairs.
m) If the vehicle is transported by sea, no compensation will be paid for damages caused by sea spray/seawater.
n) In other instances, reference is made to the general conditions for accident insurance.
24. This lease agreement should be kept in the vehicle at all times.
25. Additions and amendments to the conditions and provisions of this lease agreement shall be made in writing.
26. Icelandic law applies to agreements made on the basis of the terms cited above. This includes any claims for compensation that might be made. It also applies to the basis for and the calculation of compensation. The same applies to claims for damages based on liability outside this agreement. If legal disputes arise concerning this lease agreement, they will be heard before the lessor’s legal venue.
27. It should be pointed out that disputes between the parties to this lease agreement can be submitted to the active Arbitration committee of the Icelandic Consumers Association and the Icelandic Travel Industry Association.
28. This fee does not apply when the damages incurred are not caused by the renter.
29. There is a handling fee 5000 ISK for all fines or charges that result from renters use of the car and the renter does not pay himself. Car Rental will charge the renter for fines and charges plus the previously mentioned service fee.
Payments and guarantee of rental agreement
30. Car rental requires a credit card when you pick up the car to guarantee the rental agreement. The person that pays for the car must own the credit card that is used to guarantee the rental agreement. If this is not the same person as the driver, we will list the driver as an extra driver.
31. If you only have a debit card, we accept debit cards that have the 16 digit number on the front if you also buy our Platinum Insurance package for the duration of your rental period.
32. The cancellation policy is as follows:
a) If lessee cancels up to 2 days (48 hours) prior to pick up they get a full refund (100% refund).
b) If lessee cancels less than 48 hours before pick up they will not get a refund (0% refund).
c) No shows are not refunded (0% refund).
d) If lessee picks up the car but decides to drop off early, Car rental does not refund the unused, or partly used rental day(s) unless amendments to booking or cancellations have been made prior to the pick up date.